Squadly Dev Post #4, Usability Testing

Summary

Today our class conducted a usability test. In addition to classmates, testers included former students, friends, and family.

Every team was required to provide documentation that would support a test session. I created tasks and questions for testers that would break validation, demonstrate Squadly’s current capabilities, and teach us about how the user interacts with it.

We were finalizing new features right up until the last hour before the class started. All was well, and then a merge from a feature branch to master broke our validation. We rushed to do what we could, and in the end our backend validations worked but our front end notifications for them were dead.

To make things worse, we didn’t know the backend validations were still active until someone crashed the application by performing an invalid task. I wish we just did a git rebase to the commit before the merge was done, but instead we just ironed out all merge conflicts, tested it real quick, found out what was not working, and then just assumed that it was dead rather than spending more time testing to see what really wasn’t working.

Tasks and questions that were related to testing the integrity and error handling were obviously scrapped, and while this had a huge impact on how effective this usability test could have been, we still benefited a great amount from it.

Feedback From Testing

Detials Learned from Testing:

###New Implementations:

At this point, Squadly is up and operational to the point where events and users can be made. The UI for a couple of pages was updated, and Mike was able to remove the page for the creation of new events entirely by including it in the main feed page.

###Useful Links: For validation, Mike used the client side validations gem which can be found here.

###Issues We’ve Faced:

####Validation - Validation has been a nightmare to implement. Mike did a great job in updating the views and spent a lot of time adding basic validations such as duplicate emails, short passwords, etc. However, by the time the test session started, the client side aspects of the validation did not work at all. The branch for validation wasn’t merged with master and we were scrambling to fix merge conflicts while our Professor was introducing the class.

####Work Allotment - Everyone knows that validation is a big deal, and for Mike to tackle it on by himself on both the front and back end was a mistake. We had two and a half weeks to implement it. At times when Mike had other obligations to deal with, I wouldn’t be able to work on it even if I wanted to since it would’ve taken too much time to get into. Mike was the only one who knew what was going on, and all the code for validation was his, mucking around with the code would have been bad…

We are only a team two, and compared to other teams of three and four, our efforts are already limited. We agreed to make sure that neither of us would ever handle a core feature alone. This way, if one person was unable to work on it, the second person would be able to take over, and more importantly, both members of the group would be on the same page.